COUNCIL ON DISABILITY AWARENESS (CDA), UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
Friday, April 22, 2022, 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM (CST)
Present: Amber Alaniz, Nathan Albano, Sarah Andrews, Robert Butler, Amelia DeRynck, Brad Ferrier, Leah Fuller, Madde Hoberg, Jen Knights, Gianna Marshall, Megan Meyer, Patti Bahr, Michael Penniman, David Rooney, Bri Swope, Elizabeth Wallace
Approval of minutes from March Meeting: 1st motion – Patti Bahr; 2nd motion – Bri Swope. All approved, motion passes.
Announcements / Updates:
- KUDOS! Jen Knights (Diversity Seed Grant);
- Purpose: to create a media production space in former Wild Bills Coffee Shop, upgrade equipment and studio that can be utilized by faculty, students, and staff. $1000
- KUDOS! SDS SAB (Heider “Impact Now” grants)
- Granted two $5000 awards. One advisory board members requested training (institutional level, ADA training for campus for faculty and students). Other grant for academic support programs in SDS.
- KUDOS! Michael Penniman recently toured Stanley Art Museum with Elizabeth Wallace. Michael gives the Museum high praise for being receptive to accessibility feedback and implementing recommendations.
- DI Letter to Editor
- RE: coverage on Campus Climate Survey, article did not also include representing people with disabilities. Was sent to them, but as of yet, not published
- Campus Climate Survey
- Student Scholarship opportunities (SDS, Len’s tip NBCUniversal… others?)
- SDS applications open: https://sds.studentlife.uiowa.edu/tags/ui-scholarships-students-disabilities
- NBC Universal: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2022NBCUAAPD
- Judy Heumann - rescheduling updates?
- Looking to reschedule to August 31 at Hancher; or during ADA Celebration on October 15
- Hawkathlon event, Sunday, April 24 at 1 PM at CRWC, on the track
- First adapted duathlon; nine stations with two groups of participants – run/walk/roll on track/loop. Adaptive rowing at UI is getting involved too.
- CIAE Graduation: A celebration of Inclusive Academic Excellence, May 11
- Center for Inclusive Academic Excellence (formally CDE) facilitates the Affinity Graduation. Disability Graduation will merge with Affinity Graduation.
- UISDAA will have a celebration of their own End of Year Party (recognition, tassels, food/drinks).
- Motion to provide $100 for UISDAA celebration. 1st motion: Patti Bahr, 2nd motion: Elizabeth Wallace. All approved, motion passes.
- ADA Celebration – October 15 from 10am-12pm in the Ped Mall. University and community together. Planning to have guest speakers, potentially Senator Harkin. University awards and community awards will be presented. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions.
- CDA Leadership / Elections during May meeting (interest shown by individuals below)
- President: (co) David Rooney and (Michael Penniman, Amber Alaniz, Gianna Marshall)
- Secretary: (co) Bri Swope and Megan Meyer
- Treasurer: Brad Ferrier
- Public Relations: Elizabeth Wallace
- DSL Undergraduate Research Fellowship (URF)
Discussion (future meetings):
- UI to Embark on 10-Year Facilities Master Plan – what can be our role?
- Council member action: Michael P., Elizabeth at Stanley Museum
- DEI Strategic Listening and Planning Session – May 16 – Co-Chairs representation
- Inputs from members: “Welcoming and Inclusive Environment”
- Summer meeting schedule?
- Thoughts on taking a break or continuing over the summer? Group agrees to taking a break for June and July meetings.
- 1st Motion: Patti Bahr; 2nd motion: Gianna Marshall. All in favor and motion passes.
- Brad mentions – think about how we can spend the last of our funds for this fiscal year, discuss at May meeting.
- Bri’s Ideas and updates and CDA’s involvement?
- How can we bring back the Accessibility Ambassador program for building/remodeling projects?
Next meeting: Friday, May 27, 2022, 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM (CST) - Zoom