COUNCIL ON DISABILITY AWARENESS (CDA), UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
Friday, March 25, 2022, 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM (CST)
Present: Amber Alaniz, Nathan Albano, Patti Bahr, Robert Butler, Kirk Corey, Brad Ferrier, Michael Hoenig, Jen Knights, Gianna Marshall, Megan Meyer, Michael Hoeing, David Rooney, Erin Stresow, Michael Venzon, and Elizabeth Wallace, T.M. Weissenberger.
Approval of Minutes from February 2022 meeting
1st Motion Gianna Marshall; 2nd Motion Michael Hoenig; All in favor, motion passes
Announcements / Updates:
- Member Podcasts
- Adaptive Sport Day Friday March 25: Stop by the Field House South Gym any time between 11:30-3:00 for a chance to try some adaptive sport equipment. Join Adaptive Sport Iowa and the Therapeutic Recreation Department for an opportunity to play wheelchair basketball, seated volleyball, adapted track and field, sled hockey and more.
Where: South Gym, Field House https://recserv.uiowa.edu/field-house Time: 11:30-3:00 This is a drop in event. Stop by any time for a chance to try some adaptive sport equipment.
- DSL Undergraduate Research Fellowship (URF)
- Presentation to Libraries, on March 9 was well received (Brad & Patti)
- 40 people in attendance with a couple people interested in CDA membership since the presentation.
- Amber presented recently to the Library, “Society Divides Sexuality and Disability”, plan for Amber to present to CDA in the future
- Survey for Young Adults with Disabilities (under age of 35)
Focus / Last-minute needs:
- Judy Heumann visit (week of March 28) **Edit, after this 3/25/22 meeting occurred, the in-person visit by Judy Heumann was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. The documentary screen at Film Scene will occur, with Judy joining virtually for a Q&A after. The Hancher event with Judy Heumann and Senator Harkin is attempting to be rescheduled to a later date.**
- Please be sure to email if you haven’t already if you’d like to attend the reception at Hancher at 5:30 on March 30
- Tickets for Hancher, pick up from David at SDS, at the reception, or at will-call window.
- Tickets to FilmScene are sold out and there are about 60 tickets left for Hancher. WOW- this is SO INCREDIBLY exciting!!
- Interpreter updates: There will be two ASL interpreters from HandsUp Communication (on stage and trading throughout the program) and live captioning during the event (on screen behind Judy).
- Email email@example.com if you have a specific questions/topic that you think is important to include within the fireside chat.
- The ADA Celebration Committee has met and are planning the annual celebration for October 15 from 10am-12pm.
- The event will be in the Ped Mall (with Merge reserved for back-up)
- Guest Speakers, Vendors, Awards and entertainment are some of the initial thoughts for this celebration.
- The event has historically been in July (close to anniversary date) but is moving to Fall in hopes to collaborate with UI and have more student, staff involvement.
- Would anyone from CDA be interested in joining this planning committee? It’s a productive and easy going group.
- Next meeting is April 14 at 10am via zoom.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in helping plan.
- David and Patti will draft a letter from CDA. Will send around so CDA members can sign-on, if they choose to address disability representation being omitted from:
- 3/24/22 article in Daily Iowan regarding Campus Climate student survey
- Division of DEI leadership opportunity shared in 3/24/22 Iowa Now – video set did not include mention or representation of disability
- Task Force for Accessibility Action Plan has seemed to have gone dormant – no communication for 18 months….
- Elections for CDA leadership is coming up in May
Discussion (future meetings):
- UI to Embark on 10-Year Facilities Master Plan – what can be our role?
- Hawkeye Accessibility Ambassadors training – Is this discontinued? UISDAA would like to see this started again.
- David and Patti to reach out to Ryan Dehart to see where facilities is at regarding this training?
- Does anyone on CDA know anyone on the campus planning committee? https://planning-and-development.fo.uiowa.edu/committees-and-teams/campus-planning-committee
- Consider inviting committee chair to an upcoming meeting to inquire about disability considerations in master plan?
- Funding and/or committee help for Disability Graduation (Affinity ceremony)
- Bri’s Ideas and updates and CDA’s involvement?
- Disability Studies
- Annual Symposium
- Students sharing projects
Next meeting: Friday, April 22, 2022, 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM (CST) - Zoom